National Archives building was built in 1760 by Reiner de Klerk (1710-1750) when he still served on the board of the Dutch East Indies, as well as the architect of this building Reiner de Klerk also noted as governor General of VOC in 1777. At that time the area is still green and healthier, than downtown Batavia which at that time was exposed to malaria. The building also as a resting place that is far outside the city down-town at that time centered on the ‘Fortress’ Fish Market area. National Archives building as the other buildings in this area also has a large area, with a spacious front lawn, existing buildings in the region is also large and spacious fitted with a courtyard or a garden in the backyard. The land area of the National Archives now has a width of 57 M and 164 M long, but the first land he owned a broader limit up to Krukut river.
National Archives U-shaped building with additional buildings in the back. 2-story main building, built in red brick with a high roof. Floor plan of the building reflects the large house plans and classical with the main east-west axis and the second north-south axis. The ground floor area. The main door is decorated high wonderful ventilation holes on it. On the floor of the Governor General is used to receive guests. On this floor there is a small staircase leading to the first floor, the more private place.
The building next to the main building is used as an administrative office that manages personal business governor general. While there are additional buildings higher once used as a slave house and for storage of goods.
In the historical records of the National Archives building changed ownership many times, before this building was abandoned then repaired, by the Dutch government used as the office of the mining department.
In 1925 the building was restored and used as a back office Landsarchief Building. When Indonesia gained independence the building is still used as the Office of the National Archives. National Archives building is U-shaped with a height of two floors connected by an additional building behind him, and a balcony with a height of two floors covered with walls and windows. Since that time the building was called the National Archives Building of the Republic of Indonesia (the National Archive Building of Republic of Indonesia). Mid-1980 all records were transferred to newer buildings in the southern city of Jakarta
Back to National Archives Building (residence of Reinier de Klerk), in the 18th century there are many mansions (landhuis) with extensive grounds in vicinity, where the elite enjoy the weekend with family at the holidays. Three centuries ago, in what is now very crowded it is still a quiet settlement with the cool weather. Number of this wonderful resting houses cause Batavia earned the nickname Queen of the East (Queen of the East) or Koningin van het Oosten in Dutch.
Among the buildings that used to be widely available in Jl Gajah Mada and Hayam Wuruk, stayed the National Archives building remaining established in areas Molenvliet. Most displaced into the mall, shops, and offices. Some were dismantled when Governor Ali Sadikin widen the road. Only in the 19th century, the elite building mansions in the south or Weltevreden (Banteng Square, Merdeka Square, Gunung Sahari, and Senen).
Between 1777 and 1780, Reinier de Klerk’s home was used as the official residence of the colonial high officials. After de Klerk died (1780), this house was purchased by Johannes Sieberg. He later became Governor-General (1801-1805) and lived in this building during the reign of French and English.
Then the building changed hands back to Jahoede LeIP Jewgiel Igel, who also bought luxury homes and large in Pondok Gede, East Jakarta. This house was demolished in 1992 and later established on these lands mall / shopping.
In 1925 it was used as the offices of the Ministry of Mines and the Dutch colonial government used foreign lands or archives archief which later became the National Archives Building. In 1992 the National Archives Building was transferred to the Ampera, South Jakarta. Having not used, the existence of this building back disturbed by the news that the venue will be transformed into a shopping complex. Hearing the news was finally a group of Dutch businessmen to take over and do the renovations. Right on the anniversary of Indonesian independence 50th building is awarded to the Indonesian government and has been converted into a museum. The restoration was completed in 1998 and the May riots erupted lucky moment, this building survived the fury of the rioters.
Now we can still see the antique buildings and graceful and has a large backyard. No wonder if such land is often used to hold weddings. Touch feel of royalty of the past is still clearly visible. The landscaping of the building is also often used for the location of the bride pre-wedding photo shoot.
Entering the former National Archives building we do not charge at all. In fact, in 2001 UNESCO building endowed with appreciation Award of Excellence
The existence of this building is conveniently located in the city center on the street Gajah Mada. You can use public transportation such as Transjakarta corridor 1 (K1) and get off at Mangga Besear bus shelter or can also use taxis and private vehicles both two-wheel and four wheels.