Santa Maria de Fatima Church is one of the old buildings in Jakarta. The church is located at Jl. Kemenangan III No. 47, Glodok, West Jakarta. The building was founded in the early 20th century in the middle of residential areas.
In terms of architectural style of this church is very typical and probably the only one in Indonesia. Church of Santa Maria de Fatima was built in the shape of the building of the former residence of Chinese officials, the roof forms ian-boe-heng (swallow’s tail), and escorted by a pair of shi shi (stone lion). Not much is known about the first owner unless he was a rank of Lieutenant der Chineezen and surname Tjioe.
One feature of this building is their writings or inscriptions in Chinese characters. Section area of origin listed rooftops previous owners which states that the District Nan An, the Residency Quanzhou, Fujian Province. On the ridge of the roof also are writings or inscriptions, namely fu shou, kang, ning, which means good fortune, longevity, health and peace. Under the management of the church, the building is well-maintained without removing its authenticity. A red and gold-colored blinds installed in front of the Church main door that serves to deter outside views directly into the Church.
In the Santa Maria de Fatima Church Complex, there are three Chinese architectural style building, which was originally used for residence of a wealthy Chinese. The owner of the land where this church, among others, Mayor Tan Jing Tiat, Tjiu Liem Bok, then passed on to Tjiu Koen Gie, and finally passed on to Tjiu Ie Pole. Ie Pek Tjiu descent who lived behind the church is Tjiu Pek Tiam (pieter Tamara Tjahyadi). While others Pek Ie descendents were selling the land inheritance to the Society of Jesus (SJ) which then builds up the Church of Santa Maria (1955). Actually at that time there were two bids, from embassy of People Replublic of China (PRC), and Society of Jesus. Pililian choose on SJ though a smaller amount of money. This is because many Tjiu family members were Catholic. Originally this church was a place that is open with two lions
Church of Santa Maria de Fatima resides on former home of Chinese officials Batavia era. After their ministry and proclamation of Jakarta Apostolic Vicar, Mgr. Adrianus Djajasepoetra SJ, to Father Wilhelmus Van Eeden SJ Krause, it was established churches, schools, and dormitories for China Overseas people. As a start, Father Antonius Loew SJ, from Austria selected as a parish priest and Fr Leitenbauer as school managers first. The school was named the Ricci school, derived from the name of the Jesuit missionary priest, Matteo Ricci.
Pater Leitenbauer effort, assisted by Father Braunmandl, Fr. Loew, and Pater Tcheng, runs smoothly, and they are also open courses in English, German, and Mandarin, known as Ricci Evening School, and the hostel managed by Father Tcheng given Ricci name Youth Center.
Then in 1953, was bought 1 hectare of land, to be used as a church and school complex, from a lieutenant (leader of Chinese descent in the Age of Dutch colonization) family name Tjioe. In 1954, the land and the building officially became the property of the church. On the ground it stands a main building with two buildings flanking the main building. The main building has two lion statues that symbolize the grandeur of royalty China.
In 1954, the first Mass held in the church and led by four priests and attended by 16 people. The following weeks the number of people were increasing and the Mass brought forward to 0600, while at 07.30 used for mass-speaking Mandarin.
The longer people is increasing, then in 1968, the Mass was held in the classrooms in the school compound Ricci, and blessed by Mgr. Salvatore Pappalardo, Ambassador to the Vatican at the time. Old chapel is being reconstructed into a larger church. The new church is able to accommodate about 600 people. While building on the right is used for the presbytery, and the left shifted function of the classroom, into the organization section room.
Upon the arrival of Father Otello, the church was renovated on a large scale, changing the floor and ceiling. Structuring a place for the statue of Maria de Fatima, who came from Urtijëi, northern Italy, and Sacred Heart of Jesus, which was blessed by Mgr. Leo Soekoto SJ. Then also installed wood carving of Jesus on the cross with two criminals were sent from Italy in the Pater Liliano times . Additionally born organizations such as the parish choir, Legion of Mary, the Altar Sons, new catechumens groups, Sunday School, and meetings in the neighborhood.
Then Fr Guido Ricci school separate from Strada Foundation by adding one new building. Currently the building was used by junior high, and the number of students when it reached 1,000 people.
The arrival of Fr. Ettore bring new development for the church, especially in the Legion of Mary activities. Legion of Mary developed rapidly into four presidium. After Father Ettore moved, his duty was replaced by Father Vincenzo Barravalle SX. At that time, the Ricci school sports hall was established. To assist in the implementation of the school, Congregation of SND was asked to help middle and high school. SND Congregation nuns jobs then continued by the Congregation of the Franciscan Pringsewu and now by FSGM (St. George’s Franciscan Martyrs) congregation.
In 1989, Father Joseph Bagnara was appointed as parish replaced Fr Vincenzo who was assigned to the island of Nias. In addition to a growing number of people, the Parish was split into eight regions and 25 neighbourhoods. In addition, there are also new sections such as the Sant ‘Egidio, HAK and KKMK. Further positions held by the parish priest Father Guido Paolucci, and in 2011 by Father Germano Framarin.
In addition to maintaining the typical Chinese architecture, Santa Maria de Fatima Church held a Mass and the Sunday school speaks in Mandarin. There is also a Chinese language course. It was deliberately done so that Chinese culture can not be separated from religious activities. Uniq with this church, not only Catholics who worship there. Some Buddhists and Confucians prays in front of the Virgin Mary in the Church of Santa Maria de Fatima.