Formerly known as the Jin De Yuan (Kim Tek Ie) pagoda temple was built and managed by Guan Gong, a sort of Chinese council officers in Batavia. Even in its time, along with three pagodas, namely the Da Bo Gong temple in Ancol, the Tanjung temple (no longer exists), and Wan Ji Sie (Wan Kiap Si) temple in Jalan Lautze, four pagodas are often called the “Four Big Shrines”.
This pagoda is very old because was built around the year 1650 by a Chinese lieutenant named Guo Xun Guan (Kwee Hoen) who set up a temple in honor of Guan Yin (Goddess Kwan Im) in Glodok.
Originally this temple called the Guan Yin Ting (Kwan Im Teng) Shrine or mean residence of Guan Yin. Unfortunately, almost a century later this temple vandalized and burned in the event of Angke Massacre in 1740. In 1755 a Chinese captain renamed the pagoda which was destroyed and then restored it with the name of Jin De Yuan (Kim Tek Ie) which means “Shrine of Virtue Gold”.
There is an interesting little history about the origin of the word Glodok. It is said that the word is derived from the error Glodok said Chinese people to mention the word “grojok” because this area was once a government-owned water reservoir area of Batavia and heard the sound of running water, which reads “grojok-grojok”. The word “grojok” pronounced “glodok” that is now used as a place name.
This temple complex is quite spacious, about 3000 square meters and facing south which Fengshui means back to the sea and overlooking the mountain. In this complex there are also 3 pieces of small temple that became a sort of pagoda precursor before entering the main temple if we enter from the south.
Entering the main temple yard, there were two lions Gu Shi Bao derived from Kwangtung Province in Southern China were imported in 1812. And also a fake money paper burning place called Jin Lu with the Lotus flower roof shape and decoration is so pretty. Jin Jin Lu Lu is the replacement of the old Jin LU made in Kwangtung in the same year with the lion Gu Shi Bao. Old original Jin Lu then moved its location in the backyard.
The ends of the roof is curved with dragon decoration and ornaments of porcelain with glazed tile shaped like waves. If we look to the right and left before entering through the door, we’ll find images of Men Shen the god of the doorman. Two circular wooden windows with carvings Qi Lin, animals such as horses but has horns, as the animal emblem of luck.
In addition to the door, there is a carving of a phoenix and a dragon, a symbol of the emperor and queen. Four hanging wooden lanterns adorn the visible front door pagoda. The inscription on the wooden board above the entrance that shows the name of the temple was written by the chairman of the pagoda at the time. Similarly, the writing on the right and left of the entrance which is a poem.
Entering the main temple building there are smoked incense and candles and immediately burst oil lamps. Those who can not stand the smoke would not be comfortable to linger in it. The dozens of giant candle diameter armful of adults looked stands proudly with flames licking. Not to mention the size of a stick of incense ranging from the size of a thumb to the hands of adults are also lodged in a special pot.
Some tables and altar with various gods and offerings also seemed to fill the room. Understandably because this temple is a temple of religious sects, namely Taoism, Confucianism, and Buddhism. This is the uniqueness of this temple, despite being in one room, but various religious observances conducted simultaneously without disturbing each other.
There are several statues of deities in this temple. Once inside, we will meet with the god of the figure I suspect this god is the god of wealth. Then we can see statues of deities San Yuan suspected to originate from the 17th century, the statue of the goddess Guan Yi (Kwan Im), and 3 pieces of sculpture on the wall of the rear symbolizing San Zun Fo Zu, a kind of trinity in Buddhism, which is accompanied by a number of smaller sculptures, which mostly comes from the 18th century. On the right and left side, there is a row of statues in a glass box which, when calculated, amounting to 18 pieces.
Some of visitors looked solemn worship, closed his eyes, looking down with a hand held and occasionally shook incense is burned ends before you plug it into a pot of gold at the altar. Several more are doing Tjiamsi tradition, the tradition of fortunetelling asking for directions to the gods.
Tjiamsi done by shaking 32 pieces bamboo sticks in a bamboo box until the fall of a rod. Then after getting a number, we have to “ask” the gods whether Tjiamsi number we match by dropping a pair of pueh. If pueh fall in the prone position and open, then the numbers are matched, but when both pueh all fall in the open position or face down all the numbers that do not match and we can repeat again. After a suitable number, we will be given a paper contains forecasts in accordance with the number that we got earlier.