Maritime Museum building has a very important historical value, becasue it is one of the oldest relic of the Dutch first period . Initially, the Maritime Museum Building was the repository for storing spices.
In 1526-1527, Sunda Kelapa was conquered by Fatahillah who assisted the soldiers of Islam from Cirebon and Demak. There was founded the City of Jayakarta.
Lord of Jayakarta City at that time did not accept the presence of the Portuguese until 1596 Dutch ships came first at the Sunda Kelapa.
In the 17th century, precisely in 1610-1611, the Dutch were given permission to build a warehouse and a fort on the east side of the mouth of the Ciliwung River.
Then, the Dutch conquered Jayakarta and founded Batavia there. Sunda Kelapa Region established the castle and became the headquarters of the VOC in Asia in 1619.
Ten years later, in 1629, Batavia was attacked by Sultan Agung Mataram. VOC leaders at that time, the Governor-General Jan Pieterszoon Coen (JP Coen), died after suffering from cholera.
After the death of JP Coen, west side of Ciliwung River area was developed and is surrounded by city walls and fortifications. Camps that still exist to this day is a stronghold Kulemborg and Zeeburg.
In 1652, then the oldest part of the spice building was constructed, which is now known as the Maritime Museum. The spice warehouse was inaugurated as the Maritime Museum in 1977, with a warehouse and VOC guard towers inside it.