VOC Café which occupies an old late 19th century buildings is more visited by foreign tourists who want a break to drink and eat because the majority of the menu is tailored to the needs of foreigners froom middle to upper class.
Shipyard VOC (Vereenigde Oost Indische Compagnie) located at Jalan Kakap No. 1 Penjaringan, North Jakarta is one of the historic sights in the northern region of the city of Jakarta. Formerly Jakarta was still called Batavia when the shipyard was established about three hundred years ago. VOC shipyard was a place to repair large ships that sailed for months, but also to make small boats. Various groups working in shipyards such as administration and bookkeeping employee , as well as a map maker, compass and hourglass maker.
They work and most live in the main house with the highest officials in the compound, who was equipagemeester or commandeur. Then there was the carpenter who specialized in making and repairing ships and other artisans, including among the slaves there. They were forced to work hard, be fed ugly, persecuted and severely punished due to error or a trivial matter.
In an area named Fish Market was first become a major trading center in Asia. Even a mention nearly two centuries this region was the lifeblood of a commercial network, which stretches from the island of Decima in Nagasaki (Japan) to Cape Town (South Africa) and from Ternate to Bandar Letter on the Arabian Gulf coast.
VOC Shipyard was one of the supporting elements that were vital for global trade network, which takes place by means of sailing ships. Ships large and small loaded and unloaded at the shipyard. And sailed the Pacific, Indian and Atlantic and stop at various ports between Amsterdam and Nagasaki, between Hormuz (Persian) and the island of Banda.
VOC shipyard was built in 1628 which was originally used as an office and a VOC. Acreage is now only about 2,000 square meters. Shipyard age that built on backfill soil is older than the Maritime Museum. Even when the shipyard was operating, the maritime museum stand was still marshes and ponds.
The shipyard was already functioning in the present place in 1632 based on historical records and built to close the mouth of the Ciliwung River near the lodges of the English nation. However, once a major fire in 1721 that had destroyed part of the building complex of this shipyard. Prior to the restoration, the original shipyard was on the north bordered by Jalan Pakin, in the west by the main house and in the south by a sort of alley between the second building which is a continuation of the main building and the new building to the north of the former Ankerwerf (former sugar warehouse, iron and wood workshop), while its eastern boundary is the Ciliwung river straightened out. In 1746 became the first post office building in Batavia, founded by Baron Van Imhoff. 1809 the shipyard was closed and leased to a carpenter of Chinese nationality. In 1812 made the gallery overlooking the times and the walls were given a rock by carpenters of Chinese nationality. Had changed hands several times, the years 1980-1990 used as chemicals and oils warehouse. By the new owners in 1998 was restored back and named Very Old Cafe (VOC) that since 1999 until now turned into restaurants and art galleries.
Vereenigde Oostindische Compagnie (the Dutch East Indies Company) or VOC was established on 20 March 1602. This organization is a Dutch company that has a monopoly on trading activity in Asia.
Even VOC was an ordinary trade body, but it was special because it was supported by the state and given special facilities, such as soldiers and may negotiate with other countries. In this case VOC can be said to be a state within a state. Indonesian society often refer to VOC as Kumpeni taken from the word compagnie. And people familiar with the Company as the Dutch soldiers were often oppressive to native people.