Not far from the Fatahillah Museum Park and still located in the tourist area of Old City, there is a maroon bridge which in sharp contrast to conditions of the surrounding views. The bridge is now known as “Jembatan Kota Intan” which means Diamond City Bridge in local language . In the past this bridge serves as a bridge between the Dutch fort and the British fort, but has now become one of the attractions visited by many tourists.
Kota Intan Bridge was originally a regular bridge that was built in 1628 called Engelse Brug bridge or England bridge. The wooden bridge has a length of 30 meters and width of 4.43 meters. The bridge serves as a liaison between the Dutch fort (VOC) and the British fort (IEC) which was opposed and separated by the Kali Besar. A year later, in 1629, the bridge was severely damaged in the attack of Bantam and Mataram kingdom that attacked the Batavia fortress.
That conditions have immediately restored by the Netherlands, given the vital functions of the bridge and the bridge was renamed De Hoenderpasar Brig or Chicken Market Bridge. Chicken Market Bridge name is taken from the Great Chicken Market that stood at the north end of Kali Besar Barat (18th century).
The bridge was also known as market suspension bridge or Groote boom (large stems) because the bridge was the only lift bridge in Batavia. In the 17th century ships could still sail further upstream Ciliwung River. The bridge then sometimes needed to be drawn up. In addition, the bridge was ever to function as rod tax as it is called in the Luar Batang.
In development Chicken Market Bridge was renamed Kota Intan Bridge, due to its proximity to one of the named Batavia Castle Bastion Diamont (diamond). As the Dutch dominance at Batavia in mid 17th century, in addition to Jembatan Kota Intan, Netherlands furthermore built many similar bridges in Batavia. Bridges built by the Dutch looks elegant with traditional Dutch style. In addition to building bridges, the Netherlands had created a lot of channel that served as the setting for the water system and river transport. Twenty-five years later or more precisely in 1655, the bridge was again damaged and repaired. But the damage this time not because of war but because of floods and saltwater corrosion from the sea. After the post-repair, was rebranded into Het Middelpunt Bridge Brug which means the Bridge Centre.
In 1938 the function of the bridge was converted into a suspension bridge. Goal is to be appointed for boat traffic and preventing flood damage, but the shape and the style was never changed. Even this bridge name again changed to Bridge Phalsbrug or Juliana Bernhard, because at that time the Queen Juliana, who became queen of the Netherlands. Previously, the bridge was also given the name Bridge Wilhemina (Wilhemina brug), mother of Juliana.
Then, after the proclamation of independence of the Republic of Indonesia, even this bridge name was again changed into what we know up to now the Kota Intan Bridge. The name is customized with the name of its location close to the bastion of Batavia Castle named Bastin Diamont (Intan). The Dutch had built some similar bridges in Batavia or what is now Jakarta. But the bridges were no longer exist, all that remains is Jembatan Kota Intan. To preserve its existence, then in 1972, Jakarta Governor Ali Sadikin, set Jembatan Kota Intan as objects of cultural heritage