In the reign of VOC in Batavia, Jakarta History Museum was originally used as City Hall (Stadhuis). On 27 April 1626, the Governor-General Pieter de Carpentier (1623-1627) built a new city hall building which was then renovated on January 25, 1707 in the reign of Governor-General Joan van Hoorn and was only completed on 10 July 1710, in the reign of Governor General Abraham van Riebeeck.
In addition as the City Hall, this building also served as the Court, the Civil Registry Office, where people worshiped on Sunday, and the Municipal Council (College van Scheppen). In the years 1925-1942 the building was also used as the Office of the Provincial Government of West Java and in 1942-1945 was used for the collection office logistics of Dai Nippon. 1952 was also used as the Command Headquarters of the Military Town (KMK) I, which later became the West Jakarta District Military Command 0503. After that in 1968 the building was handed over to the Jakarta Government and subsequently used as a museum in 1974.
Jakarta History Museum is located at Jalan Taman Fatahillah 1, West Jakarta is a museum institution that has a long history. In 1919, in the framework of the 300 years of the founding of the city of Batavia, Batavia city residents, especially the Netherlands became interested in the history of the city of Batavia so in 1930 established a foundation named Oud Batavia (Old Batavia), which aims to gather all the particulars about the history of the city of Batavia. 1936, Oud Batavia Museum was inaugurated by the Governor General Tjarda van Starkenborgh Stachouwer (1936-1942), and opened to the public in 1939
Oud Batavia Museum is a private institution under the auspices of the Royal Batavian Society of Arts and Sciences (Batavia Association for Arts and Sciences), which was founded in 1778 and played a role in setting up the National Museum. The collections are mostly relics of Dutch people who lived in Batavia since the beginning of the sixteenth century, such as furniture, home furnishings, weapons, ceramics, maps, and books.
At the time of independence, Oud Batavia Museum changed its name to Old Djakarta Museum under the auspices of IFI (Institute of Culture Indonesia) and in 1968 handed over to the Government of DKI Jakarta. After the Jakarta History Museum was inaugurated on March 30, 1974, the entire collection of the Museum of Old Djakarta moved to Jakarta History Museum and coupled with the collection of the National Museum.
Since 1999 the Jakarta History Museum was conceived not just as a place to care for and exhibit objects from the colonial period, but should be a place for the entire audience to increase the knowledge and experience of the history of the city, and can be enjoyed as a recreational area. This museum seeks to provide a variety of information on the long city’s history, from prehistoric times to the present in a more creative, as well as organizing recreational activities and attractive in order to raise public awareness of the importance of cultural heritage.